JETAABC BOARD OF DIRECTORS (2020/21)
Tai – President
Nick – Treasurer
Caleb – Secretary
Vivien – Membership Coordinator
Jenny – Communications Coordinator
Karmila – Social Coordinator
Danielle – External Liaison
Ivon – Volunteer Coordinator
Colleen – Volunteer Coordinator
Loretta – Career Development
John – Technical Coordinator
Greg – Senior Advisor
Thomas – Director-at-Large
Kane – Director-At-Large (Victoria)
Jessica – Associate Director
Ed – Associate Director
Ian – Associate Director
Janelle – Associate Director
Cathy – Associate Director
Interested in joining the Board?
There are plenty of ways to get involved with JETAABC! Read through the positions on the right to get an idea of the different positions and opportunities that are available. Position are elected yearly at the Annual General Meeting and held for one full year (from January to January).
- Acts as the official representative of JETAABC.
- Liaises with the Japanese Consulate, CLAIR and JETAA Canada representative.
- Chairs the Board of Directors meetings and facilitates JETAABC activities and communications.
- Advises and coordinates all JETAABC activities in conjunction with the Board of Directors.
- Spearheads JETAABC long-term planning and vision.
Maintains records of JETAABC’s finances (eg. bank deposits, balancing cheque book).
Reports on the financial activities at the monthly Board of Directors meeting.
Prepares the application for the CLAIR grant-in-aid, and liaises with CLAIR on related matters.
Prepares the agenda for and takes minutes at meetings.
Maintains the minutes, all files, documents, and correspondence for JETAABC.
Organizes meetings dates and locations; orders refreshments for meeting.
- Maintains and updates membership and contact information of all alumni in the JETAABC database.
- Updates and maintains email mailing list.
- Encourages alumni to join JETAABC.
- Prepares and digitally distributes JETAABC monthly email updates.
- Maintains JETAABC’s Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn pages.
- Facilitates communication between the Board and JETAABC members.
- Brings JETAABC members in touch with other JET alumni associations.
- Develops relationships with outside organizations (eg. Mokuyokai, Powell Street Festival Society, Nikkei Place) to allow JETAABC members to maintain their connection to Japan and Japanese culture.
- Solicits and directs volunteers for the pre-departure orientation and community events.
- Serves as the primary contact for alumni interested in getting involved with JETAABC.
- Organizes the annual volunteer appreciation event.
- Organizes events and RSVPs throughout the year: Japanese cultural activities, ie. cooking, pottery & social gatherings; or provides support for other board members organizing such activities
- Serve as sponsor/coordinator for Japanese language class
- Writing up event description and marketing for external communications
- Develops and organizes career-related and personal development events such as networking events and workshops.
- Organizes the annual Re-Entry & Career Seminar in the autumn for new returnees.
- Manage JETAABC servers, email accounts, and website.
- Set up online payment for JETAABC events.
- General IT support.
- Filled by someone who has previously served on the Board of Directors.
- Offers guidance and input on Board decisions and dialogue.